Despicable Me 4 stands out as one of the most highly anticipated animated films of 2024. This latest addition to the beloved franchise is set to reunite audiences with the cherished characters of Gru, Lucy, the girls, and the Minions, embarking on a fresh adventure. Here’s a comprehensive overview of the forthcoming sequel, covering its release date, cast, story, and trailer.
Scheduled for release on July 3, 2024, in the United States, Despicable Me 4 will be distributed by Universal Pictures and produced by Illumination Entertainment – the same studio responsible for previous hits like The Secret Life of Pets and Sing. The film will be presented in 3D and IMAX formats, along with the standard 2D option.
Returning to lend their voices are the main cast members from previous films, joined by some new additions:
- Steve Carell as Felonious Gru, a former supervillain turned Anti-Villain League agent and the adoptive father of Margo, Edith, and Agnes.
- Kristen Wiig as Lucy Wilde, an Anti-Villain League agent and Gru’s wife.
- Miranda Cosgrove as Margo, the eldest of the three girls adopted by Gru and Lucy.
- Dana Gaier as Edith, the middle child of the three girls.
- Madison Polan as Agnes, the youngest of the three girls, replacing Nev Scharrel from the third film.
- Pierre Coffin as the Minions, Gru’s yellow henchmen who communicate in their own gibberish language.
- Will Ferrell as Maxime Le Mal, a new supervillain seeking revenge on Gru and his family.
- Sofia Vergara as Valentina, Le Mal’s girlfriend and partner in crime.
- Joey King as Poppy, an aspiring supervillain idolizing Le Mal.
- Steve Coogan as Silas Ramsbottom, the former director of the Anti-Villain League who resigned in the previous film.
- Stephen Colbert and Chloe Fineman in roles yet to be disclosed.
While the plot of Despicable Me 4 is shrouded in secrecy, the official synopsis hints at Gru and his family confronting a new threat from Le Mal and Valentina. Escaping from prison, the duo targets Gru and his loved ones. The movie also introduces a new addition to the Gru family, Gru Jr., determined to make life challenging for his father. Expect the Minions to add their usual antics, alongside new locations and gadgets.
Released on January 29, 2024, the first trailer for Despicable Me 4 has already amassed over 100 million views on YouTube. Providing a glimpse into the action, comedy, and heart characteristic of the franchise, the trailer showcases new characters and settings.
Despicable Me 4 is poised to be another blockbuster success for Illumination and Universal, promising fans of the franchise a fresh narrative, new characters, and novel challenges for Gru and his family. Scheduled for release on July 3, 2024, this film guarantees another despicably delightful adventure. Mark your calendars and brace yourself for the excitement!